To launch its new mobile app, Propel Vallejo is holding a photo contest. Community members (no photography background needed) are encouraged to enter their images of what makes Vallejo special to them, answering the question, “Where is the heart of your Vallejo?” Contest winners, selected by a panel of local photographers and community leaders, will each receive a prize from local businesses, courtesy of the Vallejo Chamber of Commerce.
To enter the photo contest, please see the details, rules and instructions below.
- Community members may submit up to three photos each.
- Photos must be taken in Vallejo.
- Photos must reflect the topic, “Where is the Heart of your Vallejo?”
- Photos must be accompanied by a caption describing how the image portrays the heart
- Deadline for entries is February 13, 2015.
- Cropping, editing and application of filters is allowed.
- Standard digital formats (JPEG, TIF, etc.) accepted. Maximum file size: 500KB.
- All entrants must agree to the copyright and consent statement below.
Copyright and Consent
By submitting a photo to the contest you certify that:
1. You are 18 years of age or older, or that if you are under 18, you have received your parent or guardian’s permission to post.
2. You grant a non-exclusive license to the City of Vallejo and its agents to use this photograph in any manner to support the City of Vallejo’s programs, services and mission. You also represent that you are the sole creator of the image and have the legal right and authority to grant such license.
3. You have received the express written permission of the guardian of any easily identifiable minor in the photo prior to taking the photo.
The City reserves the right to block or remove any photo deemed inappropriate (e.g. hate speech, violent imagery, nudity, obscenity, copyright infringement, or spam).
There are three ways for participants to enter the contest:
Via Smartphone App
• Open the app (or access in a browser at onthego.propelvallejo.com)
• Navigate to the Photo Contest
• Upload a photo and caption
• Agree to the conditions on the consent screen
• Enter your name and contact information so we know how to get in touch if you win
• Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Include Heart of Vallejo in the subject line
• Attach your photo and descriptive caption (maximum file size: 500KB).
• Tell us your full name and phone number so we know how to get in touch if you win
Via USPS or Hand Delivery
• Send your photo and caption to:
Mark Hoffheimer, Senior Planner
City of Vallejo Planning Division
555 Santa Clara Street
Vallejo, CA 94590
• Reference the Heart of Vallejo Photo Contest
• Include a note with your name and contact information so we know how to get in touch if you win
Judges include Pearl Jones Tranter, local artist and General Plan Working Group member, Chris Riley, Vallejo Times-Herald photographer, and Tex Allen, local photographer and part-owner of Portrayou photography. Winners will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Overall positive impact and representation of what makes Vallejo special
- Clearly illustrates the theme, “Heart of Vallejo”
- Originality of the subject and caption
- Technical excellence, including use of camera settings etc.
- Quality of composition and balance of elements in the frame
- Artistic merit
Winners will be announced at the March 10, 2015 City Council meeting.*
Three “Taste of Vallejo” packages featuring tickets to local events and prizes from local businesses will be awarded to the winning entrants selected by our judges. Winning photos will be featured on the Propel Vallejo website and posted at City Hall.
*Note: this date has been changed to allow the judges more time for their deliberations.