- Make investing in Vallejo easier through a clear expression of Vallejo’s vision and expectations for development in various areas of the city.
- Provide a code that is clear, approachable, flexible, modern and easy to use.
- Develop code that represents best practices and up to date approaches.
- Remove obstacles to development that will improve the City’s image as a good place to live and do business.
- Remove obstacles to high-quality development such as unnecessary or inefficient procedures and standards.
A brief overview of why Vallejo is rewriting the Zoning Code, how zoning impacts you, and ways to get involved in the process can be found HERE.
What is Zoning? The City has prepared a brief handout answering this and other frequently asked questions on this topic, which can be found HERE.
Open Houses and Planning Commission Study Sessions
The new Zoning Code includes a series of Community Open Houses to solicit public input. Special meetings of the Planning Commission are held as Study Sessions following each Open House. Meeting dates and times are posted on the Workshop page, as well as the Calendar.
The process of developing the New Code will occur in four phases reflecting the four modules of related provisions shown below:
- MODULE 1: Terms and References
Land use Classifications, and rules for measurement and calculations
To View the Module 1 Report – Draft Land Use Classifications and Definitions, click HERE. Staff accepted comments on the Module 1 Report during the upcoming Community Open House and Planning Commission Study Session on June 19, 2019. All comments were due to City staff by July 3, 2019.
- MODULE 2: Zoning Districts
Use regulations for each district; Development and design standards for districts
To View the Module 2 Overview Report – Zoning Districts and Purposes, click HERE. The public is invited to attend the upcoming Community Open House and Planning Commission Study Session on July 22, 2019 and provide comments. Comments on the Overview Report are due by July 31, 2019.
- MODULE 3: Citywide and Special Regulations
Site design and standards such as parking and landscaping, Regulations for specific uses
- MODULE 4: Administrative Procedures/Permits
Application submission and review, public noticing and public hearings
Use Permits, Site Development Permits, Minor Exceptions, Etc., and Enforcement
Zoning Code Diagnosis
The diagnosis of the current Vallejo Zoning Code (Title 16) was previously prepared by Opticos. The Code Diagnosis Memo prepared by Opticos providing a summary and evaluation of the current Vallejo Zoning Code, can be found HERE.
An analysis of the existing character of Vallejo focuses on both the macro-scale (i.e. residential neighborhoods, commercial districts, corridors, etc.) and the micro-scale (i.e. street character, building character and setbacks, etc.). The micro-scale analysis relates to the “walkable urban” areas of the City, which is the focus of a Form-Based Code that may be used in certain parts of the City. The process for the micro-scale analysis, including a preliminary generalized map of Vallejo’s walkable urban areas, can be found HERE.